jeudi 15 avril 2010

The Code: How to Assist Someone with their Coat

I am delighted whenever I see someone recieving assistance with their coat. In my opinion, this is a beautiful, forgotten art. I think for a gentleman especially, offering to assist someone with their coat is such a charming social grace! In social moments it does wonders to the whole atmosphere, letting the other person feel respected and accepted. It also allows the coated person a moment to graciously accept the attention. I couldn't resist checking online to see if Emily Post had anything to say about the matter and she says: "Anyone having trouble putting on a coat should receive help, regardless of gender." While I'm surprised I couldn't find anything further on the subject, I hadn't even thought of the dangers involved in forgetting to assist someone with their coat! Now I realize, this is a very important etiquette that should be adhered to at all times to prevent alarming scenarios. I hope to spot more opportunities in the future to assist anyone I can. Anyways, I love this scene from The Shop Around the Corner, the 1940s classic, which is full of deliciou nonverbal communication: Note the initial spotting of the coat, the pass, the prepping of the coat, the insertion of each arm, the draping, and even the smoothing of the collar at the finish. Such careful attentions! Well done, gentleman.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire